Pleasant valley primary penguins
Check out our current events
posted under HAPPENINGS
Come on in April 20 - 24th
to register your lil' one for
PVP Welcomes You
"Our Mission is...to create an engaging learning community in which all students can succeed."
We welcome you to our school which consists of the perfect ingredients for your child’s educational experience:
- Great staff
- Supportive parents
- An active PTA
Our staff works together as a professional learning community with student learning as our main focus. Staff meets regularly in small teams and as an entire group to talk about student progress and plan instruction that will meet each student at their independent learning level.
Our guiding questions for these collaborations are:
Through this team process, teachers are more effective than working in isolation. They spend time analyzing student data, examining student work and designing lessons together. All of these activities help us to better serve our students.
- What is it that we expect students to learn?
- How will we know when students have learned it?
- How will staff respond when students don’t learn?
- How will staff respond when students do learn?
Our primary academic focus is to build strong foundations for our learners in the core subject areas of literacy, writing and mathematics. We enhance these core subjects with social studies, science, art, music, physical education and library. Additionally, we have support services for struggling students through our Learning Assistance Program (LAP) and Special Education Services. In all areas, we support students to use a variety of problem solving strategies to empower them to be independent thinkers.
Our behavior management philosophy is based on everyone being filled with ARFF! ARFF is an acronym for Achievement, Respect, Fun and Freedom. We have built a school wide understanding of how to build trust with students, so we can influence them when it comes time to learn. Here are the basics to the program:
We look forward to seeing you at PVP and we are honored that you trust us to work with your children!
- If a person has their ARFF filled, they can function well. The analogy used is a car, with each tire representing Achievement, Respect, Fun or Freedom. We are teaching kids that if all their “tires” are full, they feel good. So, in classes, kids are sharing what gives them ARFF. This gives teachers an insight into what “drives” each student.
- The teachers’ job is: To educate and ensure health and safety in the classroom
- The students’ job is: To Think and Be Responsible
- All directions are given in the positive. Ex: “For your education, you can join us in the reading we are doing.” Instead of saying “Stop the goofing off!!!”, as people remember the last couple of words you say (in this case, ‘goofing off’). By saying “You CAN ….” Or “You MAY…”, you are communicating the expected behavior versus highlighting the negative behavior.
- Be intentional with over use of PLEASE and THANK YOU! These are reserved for personal favors, like “Please bring me my water.” Or “Thank you for picking up the papers I dropped.” Asking a student to “Please do your work” or “Thank you all for working so hard!” sends a message of choice. It is their JOB to do their work, so there is not a need to plead with them or thank them. Instead we CELEBRATE their specific effort: “WOW! I noticed how everyone quickly got settled and was ready to learn!!!” Research shows that kids (and adults) tend to tune out please and thank yous, and remember the specific celebrations of a job well done.
14320 NE 50th Avenue,
Vancouver, WA 98686
M-F9:00 am - 3:30 pm
9:00 am - 11:45 am
12:45 pm - 3:30 pm
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
2 1/2 hr Late Start
11:30 am - 3:30 pm